CEFA – Project Manager, Somalia
Luogo di lavoro: Estero
Scadenza: 20 settembre 2017
Disponibilità: novembre 2017
Role: Project Manager
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya
Area of intervention: Somalia
Start up: November 2017
Contract duration: 12 months (renewable)
CEFA – European Committee for Training and Agriculture (Comitato Europeo per la Formazione e l’Agricoltura) is an Italian NGO established in 1972 in Italy and currently active in 9 countries in Africa, Latin America and Europe.
CEFA has been working in Somalia since 1992 mainly in the Middle and Lower Shabelle and in Puntland.
CEFA’s operations in Somalia are characterised by a participatory approach with the full involvement of the local communities in the action management cycle and by Public-Private Partnerships (PPP), an agribusiness venture that is funded and operated through a partnership of government, one or more private sector companies and CEFA.
In Somalia, CEFA has been implementing EU, Italian Cooperation, OCHA and FAO funded actions focused on:
- Rehabilitation of irrigation infrastructures and canals
- Training on good agricultural practices on oasis farming, date plantation, rice, sesame and horticulture marketing
- Market research and pre-feasibility studies
- Trail plots and seed selection
- Fostering links to the market through public-private partnerships
- Support of input suppliers and market
- Introduction and adoption of alternative grain storage systems
- Emergency interventions through cash for work and seed distribution
Responsibilities and duties
- The project manager in liaison with the Consortium coordinator, ensure that the project activities are implemented as per the project work plan, in particular he/she will be in charge of the rehabilitation of the Primo-Secondario Canal and the promotion of agricultural activities with small holder farmers.
- He/she will be responsible for providing technical support, coordination and supervision in collaboration with the local engineers and agronomist in Somalia aiming at:
- Conduct the assessment and diagnostics of Primo-Secondario Canal, barrages and all related infrastructures and services to be rehabilitated in projects
- Design, coordinate and implement all construction / rehabilitation works related to these structures in Somalia according to the needs and priorities based on the assessments
- Supervise engineering calculations and basic technical designs and drawings according to CEFA standards and procedures
- Strengthen agricultural value chains
- He/she will lead the planning and implementation of community sensitization and the selection of beneficiaries under the supervision of the Consortium Coordinator and in partnership with local partners and stakeholders.
- In liaison with the Consortium Coordinator, he/she will ensure the project suppliers and contractors are managed according to the work plan and the donor guidelines.
- He/she will ensure the project is represented well and attend all the relevant forums-clusters, local authorities etc.
- He/she will develop an M&E framework for the project and submit monthly report;
- Disseminate the results of the project using a variety of media channels.
- Participate in the design and preparation of project proposals in the areas of food security, environment, and nutrition.
Skills & Qualifications
- Education: preferred Bachelor’s Degree in water engineer or related field;
- Professional experience: at least 3 years of relevant experience as Project Manager, preferably in Somalia;
- Languages required: English (excellent written and spoken) and preferably Somali;
- Computer skills: excellent computer skills.
Other skills required
- Engineering and managerial skills;
- Good inter-personal skills, and teamwork skills;
- Staff management skills;
- Ability to work in multicultural environments, and to adapt and work in difficult situations.
How to apply
Please send detailed CV and Cover Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with reference code: “Project Manager –Somalia”.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.