EED – Communications Officer, Brussels
Luogo di lavoro: Estero
Scadenza: 14 marzo 2016
The European Endowment for Democracy (EED) is a grant-giving organisation that supports civil society actors struggling for democratic change in their countries in the European Neighbourhood. A joint effort of the Member States and European Union institutions, EED is an independent private law foundation with its seat in Brussels.
EED supports pro-democratic civil society organisations, movements and individual activists acting in favour of a pluralistic multiparty system regardless of their size or formal status. EED also provides assistance to young leaders, independent media and journalists, provided they adhere to core democratic values and human rights, as well as subscribe to principles of non-violence. Women rights organisations and female activists are among the recipients of support and gender perspective is mainstreamed in all EED-funded actions.
The EED is currently seeking a Communications Officer (m/f) to lead the development, planning, and implementation of the EED’s communications strategy and activities.
Scope of Work and Outputs
Reporting to the Director of Operations and under the overall supervision of the Executive Director, the Communications Officer will:
- Work in collaboration with the EED Secretariat, Board of Governors, and Executive Committee to update and implement a communications strategy and promote the activities of the organisation;
- Identify, draft and disseminate compelling communications materials that demonstrate the results of the EED’s work to a variety of stakeholders;
- Plan, write, and produce the EED’s annual report, newsletters, brochures, press releases, etc.;
- Maintain the EED’s website, including drafting web content;
- Organise EED events and facilitate outreach to the community of practice;
- Develop media relations in Brussels and across EU Member States, and build up and support relations with outlets supported by the EED in partner countries;
- Develop a social media strategy, ensure its implementation, and increase user engagement;
- Manage and develop the EED’s “We Support” blog;
- Manage the organisation’s outreach database;
- Support EED grantees to communicate the results of EED-funded initiatives, including organising capacity building workshops as appropriate;
- Maintaining relations with leading think-tanks relevant to EED’s work;
- Manage and mentor a small communications team;
- Perform other tasks for the Director of Operations as required.
The Communications Officer shall have the following experience:
- Master’s degree in International Affairs, Political or Social Science, Communications, PR, Journalism or related discipline;
- At least six (6) years of proven full-time professional experience in writing, editing, publication, graphic design and/or audio-visual production, preferably in an international setting;
- Minimum of two (2) years at a similar position;
- Demonstrated experience developing and managing communications strategies on behalf of an organisation;
- Experience working on democracy-related projects or programmes with a government, international organisation, or civil society organisation;
- Sound knowledge of the European institutions and working mechanisms within the EU;
- Sound knowledge of grant-giving and democracy support procedures;
- Substantive understanding of political issues and trends in the EU Neighbourhood as well as EU policies toward the region;
- Ability to maintain effective working relations both as a team member and team leader;
- Ability to manage, organise, plan and implement work assignments, juggle competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and ability to handle a range of coordination issues;
- Full professional fluency in English (near to native); knowledge of French, Arabic and/or Russian would be significant advantage;
- Strong writing and presentation skills, with an eye for detail;
- Solid ICT skills;
- Willingness to keep abreast of new communications tools and practices;
- Ability to work in multi-ethnic and multi-national environment;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Readiness for frequent duty travel.
Key eligibility criteria
- Preferably be a national or having permanent residence permit of one of the EU/EEA countries or Switzerland;
- Be entitled to his/her full rights as a citizen;
- Have completed any obligations imposed on him/her by the laws concerning military service;
- Produces the appropriate character references as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
- Be physically fit to perform his/her duties;
- Hold, or be in a position to obtain, a valid Personnel Security Clearance Certificate (national or EU PSC at CONFIDENTIAL and/or EU SECRET level).
TO APPLY, PLEASE, FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON EED WEBSITE:https://www.democracyendowment.eu/communications-officer/.