EPO – Translator, Munich (Germany)
Luogo di lavoro: Estero
Scadenza: 13 aprile 2016
EPO – European Patent Office – Translator, Munich (Germany)
Directorate Language & Document Services (French Department)
The European Patent Office (EPO) – the second-largest public institution in Europe, with 7 000 staff members and a self-financed annual budget of EUR 2bn – is looking for a translator within the French Department of its Language & Document Services.
The Language & Document Services play a vital part in the work of the Office. Its main function is to provide translation and interpreting for the three official languages, but it also carries out other tasks, such as maintaining a sophisticated terminology database and editing texts by non-native speakers, all of which are essential to any modern organisation that values quality and consistency in communication.
- Translating a wide variety of English and German texts into French, particularly in the fields of patent law, general law, economics, finance and IT;
- Proofreading texts for publication;
- Vetting the language of legally binding texts, if necessary in collaboration with translator colleagues, lawyers and the author of the original;
- Helping to build up the trilingual terminology database;
- Further tasks as assigned by line management.
In principle, a reviser will monitor the translator’s progress and check the quality of his or her translations, ensuring concordance with the original text.
The ideal candidate will have
- Ability to analyse and process texts logically, accurately and according to the author’s intention;
- Ability to translate source texts into French and to deliver high-quality target texts by fixed deadlines;
- Broad general knowledge;
- Clear and concise style of writing in a wide range of registers;
- Knowledge and experience of using the MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and IT translation tools (e.g. SDL Studio and SDL MultiTerm);
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining a high level of quality;
- Ability to interact effectively with colleagues and authors.
Several years of experience of translating in an international organisation would be an asset.
- Diploma of completed studies at university level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent knowledge acquired over many years of qualified work. Perfect mastery of French and thorough knowledge of the other two official languages (English and German);
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
Salary and benefits
The EPO offers competitive salaries, an excellent social package, and varied work in a modern international environment. The net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy ranges from EUR 5 223 to 7 396, depending on experience. In addition, depending on their personal circumstances, EPO staff may be entitled to relocation benefits and various allowances (e.g. household, dependant’s, childcare, education, expatriation, installation and rent allowance).
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
Procedure and timeframe
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and experience, supplemented as appropriate by interviews, tests and/or a personality questionnaire. It is intended to hold written tests in week 16 and interviews in week 20 in Munich.
Please apply online, using this link, reference number INT/EXT/5968.
Application until: 13 April 2016.