Good Shepherd International Foundation – Capacity Development Specialist, Roma
Luogo di lavoro: Italia
Scadenza: 1 settembre 2017
Location: Rome, Italy (negotiable)
Duration: 3 years (renewable)
Accountable to: Director of the Good Shepherd International Foundation
International travels: up to 60% of the time
Application deadline: 01.09.2017
Salary level: Commensurate with experience
The Good Shepherd International Foundation (GSIF) is an Italian non-profit organization established in 2008 to support the mission and direct service ministries of the Good Shepherd Sisters internationally. The Foundation is based in Rome and works in partnership with the Good Shepherd networks in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
GSIF has just completed its strategic planning for the period 2017-2021. The goal of the strategy is to: Contribute to positive change in the lives of the people who suffer from poverty, violence, gender based discrimination and other forms of human rights violations.
The three Strategic Objective are:
- Reduce poverty by promoting women’s empowerment
- Eliminate violence and discrimination against girls, women and children
- Promote the rights of migrants and refugees
To achieve those objectives and embed innovation, good practice and excellence in Good Shepherd programmes becomes a priority: adopting a life-long-learning approach to capacity building and organisational developmentto ensure that the participants involved in programs are aligned with human rights principles, modelled on international good practices and delivered with the highest level of professionalism.
To achieve these objectives they commit themselves to:
- Openness to innovation;
- A commitment to excellence in programming delivered with the highest level of professionalism;
- A life-long-learning approach to capacity building;
- A foundation of good practice across all staff in every program, consistent with Good Shepherd vision and values, aligned with human rights principles, and modelled on international best practices;
- Participation and empowerment of program participants.
Keyduties and responsibilities:
In collaboration with the GSIF team, the Congregational Leadership Team the International Justice and Peace Office, regional circles of leaders and appropriate ministrydirectors, the Specialist will coordinate a regional and local network of partners to:
- Document, model and share good practices from within and outside Good Shepherd programs, through a research and sharing methodsthat willfocus on identifying good practices in the following key areas for Good Shepherd programs:
- Empowerment of Girls, Women and Children through Human Rights, Education and Economic Development;
- Holistic Care for Girls, Women and Children at-risk and victims of violence;
- Community-based Protection of Children who are vulnerable;
- Protection and Inclusion of Migrants and Refugees.
- Based on the GS International Position Papers, assess and develop required policies for key areas of Child Protection, Empowerment of Vulnerable People, and Human Resource Management;
- Map training needs; design, support and monitor the implementation of local capacity development plans in areas of service delivery and program management;
- Develop and deliver competency-based training modules in selected program areas, including training of trainers. This will include preparing toolkits and materials (i.e. pre-post evaluation tests, exercises, etc.);
- Project management (planning, writing, reporting) and facilitation of meetings and workshops related to Capacity Building and Organizational Development.
- Consistent capacity building methodologies for continuous learning across Good Shepherd programs;
- Improved service delivery through enhanced capacity of GS partners and implemented policies;
- Documented and shared good practices in key program areas.
Competencies and person specification:
Required Core Values
- Mission orientation and strong commitment towards social justice and human rights;
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality;
- Ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Willingness to work in inclusive and multi-cultural environments;
- High degree of flexibility and adaptability to different contexts.
- Advanced degree in one of the following fields: education (focus on adult education), strategic learning, training, knowledge management, organizational development, human rights,development studies, communications, community development, social work, management or other related field of study.
- Minimum 7 years of professional experience in Capacity Building, Training, Policy Development, Program Management, Organization Development and advocacy on girls, children and women’s rights;
- Extensive hands-on experience in organizational capacity assessment and development of capacity building strategies and plans;
- Proven experience in policy development in relevant thematic areas;
- Extensive experience in writing and editing reports, proposals, manuals, training materials, policies and procedures;
- Experience in mentoring and coaching.
- Intercultural competency
- Experience in facilitating ‘’communities of practice’’ on relevant thematic areas;
- Experience of working in resource-poor and at-risk environments;
- Previous experience with faith-based organizations and understanding of community life of religious orders is an asset.
- Ability to innovate and initiate activities from scratch;
- Ability to assess individual and organizational needs;
- Ability to design training plans and modules based on individual and organizational needs;
- Ability to organize, facilitate and deliver capacity building activities using adult learning innovative methods;
- Ability to transfer skills and knowledge through formal or informal training and skills sharing
- Excellent interpersonal, facilitation and communication skills, including the ability to communicate and work with a wide range of stakeholders in a participatory, respectful, collaborative manner, and to enhance effective work relationships;
- Ability to network and build partnerships;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Fluency and advanced writing skills in English. Knowledge of French, Spanish or other languages is an added advantage.
To apply for this position please send a motivation letter and a CV with 2 reference letters in English to recruitment @gssweb.org by September 1st 2017.