MDM – Psicologo, Reggio Calabria
Luogo di lavoro: Italia
Scadenza: 30 aprile 2017
La ONG internazionale Médecins du Monde sta selezionando un/a Psicologo per la sua operatività nel sud Italia. Base di lavoro Reggio Calabria.
Status: Fixed term contract 9 Month
Country : Italy
Base: Reggio Calabria with possible missions in Italy or France
Starting date: asap
Deadline of the vacancy: 30 april 2017
Context of the mission
The deterioration of the situation in Libya has led to an increase in the number of migrants traveling on the Mediterranean route to Central Europe and since the closure of the border with Turkey, Italy became the main country of new arrivals. Over 180,000 migrants have landed on the Italian coast in the course of 2016
Since 2014, the port of Reggio Calabria is the main port of the region for disembarkation and the third in the whole of southern Italy (following Lampedusa and Pozzallo in Sicily). The Calabria is also one of the first regions in Italy for the presence of the first (mostly for unaccompanied minors) and second reception centers (SPRAR).
The Italian Mission MDM born in late October 2015, with the contribution of Medecins du Monde France and Medicos del Mundo Espana. In December 2015, first activities were launched in Calabria.
In the month of March 2016, Medecins du Monde France registered in Italy in order be able to fully operate in the country and starts a program in support of access to quality health services for migrants, asilym seekers and refugees at the port during landing and in first and secondary reception centers in Province of Reggio Calabria, with over 3000 direct beneficiaries during the year
Human Resources of the mission
The team is composed by:
A general coordination based in Rome
A Coordination team for Italy
A team to implement the project for access to health for migrants in the Calabria
Italy is one of the entry points to Europe for refugees and migrants fleeing from conflicts, situation of violence and deprivation. Over 180000 migrants and refugees have arrived in the country in 2016. 14 per cent of all arrivals are unaccompanied children – meaning the vast majority of children arriving in Italy arrive alone.
UASC are at particular risk of abuse and exploitation, notably from the smugglers they rely on to get to Europe (including severe sexual abuse mainly for the girls.
The reception system is suffering from structural problems, and it results to be limited and inadequate. The Italian reception system that has requested a growing effort by the institutions to come into compliance the existing system, being absolutely underpowered compared to a reality that in a few years seen exponentially increase the number of applicants international protection.
The legislative decree no. 142 of 18 August 2015 (the so -called reception decree) is the legal framework for the reception of UASC s in Italy; it provides that when there are repeated cases of substantial arrivals of UASC in a short space of time, and there are no places available both in first and second reception systems, the prefect may arrange the operation of temporary reception structures exclusively dedicated to UASC.
Furthermore, the law determines the maximum time of stay in the first reception centres in 60 days, but, as now, UASCs often stay there for considerably longer periods due to the difficulty of finding places in the SPRAR network (in which 1,852 places are available at present while the number of minors in late October 2016 was 15.883) or in municipality-run centres. In some cases they will never be transferred into the SPRAR network system; for these reasons, we can say that these centres are functioning in practice as second reception facilities, but with substantially inferior standards in comparison to those set out by the national and regional normative frameworks.
Medecins du Monde will implement, in partnership with Unicef a 9 months program in support of the improving of the standard of the first reception centers for Unaccompanied minors in Reggio Calabria
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support in mental health and psychosocial support related issues to the migrant program: MdM France staff/partners
- Assess needs of training for MdM France staff/partners and assist in organizing and/or in providing trainings accordingly
- Report MHPSS activities, according to MdM procedures
- Develop or adapt specific didactic materials for technical topics and capacity building activities
- Keep and improve a referral system for MHPSS cases
- Keep and improve the current data collection system for mental health activities according with the needs of reporting
- The responsibility of the MH teams / social workers (supervision & follow-up)
- To maintain good socio-professional relationships with national and international partners
- To collaborate and participate to any workshops in relation to mental health/psychosocial
- To take part in advocacy / communication activities under the supervision of the Program Coordinator
- To perform other additional duties on request of the medical manager/MHCo/ and program coordinator
- An advanced degree in clinical psychology, or in any other relevant field (Bachelor Major in Psychology or Master/Specialization in Clinical psychology)
- Valuable experience in training and supervising social workers and psychologists (at least 3 years)
- Experience of counseling/psychological support/psychotherapy in emergency situations with people affected by conflicts (at least 3 years)
- Experience related to psychosocial/psychological assessment
- Experience in Community Psycho-education
- Previous work experience with international organizations
- Knowledge of MHPSS international guidelines
- Strong communication and facilitation skills
- Managerial skills
- Excellent writing skills and Computer skills (Excel, Word, Power Point)
- Italian and English (both written and spoken). French is a plus
This job description can be modified at any time according to changes in MDM activities or in the context, this without prior notice. On demand of the direct supervisor, other tasks might be added to that present list.
please only apply if you meet the requirements
Please send your CV plus Cover letter with subject:Unicef project manager to: email@example.com
Only short-listed candidates will be updated on the status of their application.