Médecins du Monde – Mental health coordinator, Beirut
Luogo di lavoro: Estero
Disponibilità: 1 dicembre 2015
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 40 countries across all continents where it focuses on 4 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use, crises and conflicts.
Since 2012, MdM France and its partners offer primary health care (PHC) & psychosocial support services to refugees and displaced Syrian populations.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the general coordinator, you will be in charge of the implementation, follow-up and supervision of all mental health and psycho-social services (MHPSS) activities in MdM Lebanon. You will participate in the development of the general strategy of MdM activities with the general coordinator, the medical coordinator and the team.
1/ PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
- You coordinate with relevant partners the appropriate psycho-social activities to be proposed, developed and implemented in the field.
- You ensure that mental health components of the program are consistent and linked with the refugees’ and host populations’ needs.
- You provide technical support in MHPSS related issues to partners’ and MdM medical staff.
- You organize, in consultation and coordination with International Organizations, the capacity building for partners’ and MdM medical and non-medical PHC staff.
- You maintain and improve the current data collection system for mental health activities according with the reporting needs.
- You contribute to supporting the organizational development of MdM partner to integrate and develop the mental health component in its structure and in its long term strategy.
- You coordinate, support, and supervise the American University of Beirut graduate Psychology students conducting their requested practicums within MdM supported PHCs.
2/ TEAM MANAGEMENT
- You ensure the recruitment of national para-medical staff.
- You train the new staff and evaluate their performance.
- You emphasize on capacity building of the national medical team especially.
3/ REPRESENTATION AND COORDINATION
- You represent MDM towards health local authorities and national/international health partners regarding mental health (UN agencies, NGOs)
- You participate to other strategic and coordination meetings relevant to the MHPSS program.
- This list of activities is not exhaustive and may change depending on the situation.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee
Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 12 months
Starting date: December 1st, 2015
Position based in Beirut with mobility over Bekaa Valley.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Master’s Degree in Mental Health or Public Health
Experience in leading MHPSS programs and activities
Experience of work in Lebanon
Knowledge of public health issues, in relation to MHPSS within contexts of conflict/civil war.
Experience in negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in difficult contexts is an asset
Ability to train national staff on mental health/social issues
Ability to take effective decisions according to the context
Capacity to create relationships with the communities
Ability to manage a team
Personal skills required:
Reactivity, anticipation, adaptability and capacity to take initiatives to changing requirements
Organisational skills, rigor
Ability to synthesise
Listening and diplomacy skills
Good writing and communication skills inside the team and from widely-varied organizations and agencies
Interest for Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law
Respectful of a traditional Muslim society
English: fluent oral and written
Arabic: fluent oral and written
French: is an asset
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED