Oxfam – EU Policy Advisor Inequality & Tax, Brussels
Luogo di lavoro: Estero
Candidature entro: 13 luglio 2015
Closing date: Monday 13th July 2015 @ 23:59 BST
Interviews will take place the week of 27 July 2015 in Oxfam International’s EU office in Brussels. We will only contact those candidates who are invited for an interview.
Candidates must have the legal right to work in Belgium
Oxfam International is an equal opportunities employer, committed to diversity within the workplace.
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty.
Around the world, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. We save lives and help rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And we campaign so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. In all we do, Oxfam works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
Our EU Advocacy Office in Brussels is looking for a committed individual with European professional experience to work on EU Inequality and taxation policies.
Working in a multi-cultural team, s/he will contribute to Oxfam’s global campaign entitled “Even it Up” against extreme economic inequality and will lead the development and implementation of our advocacy work for fairer tax rules in Europe and in developing countries.
S/he will monitor EU developments on taxation and inequality and identify Oxfam’s asks accordingly to promote them in relevant European institutions and fora in Brussels as well as towards the European media.
S/he will work closely with European Oxfam affiliates and other networks active on tax (NGOs, trade unions…) as well as with Oxfam colleagues in developing countries to influence relevant EU Institutions and Member States and ensure developing countries can raise more tax revenues
S/he will also provide tailored support and information to other members of the Oxfam family on EU taxation issues, targets and developments.
- Experience of working on EU policies, preferably on economic or tax issues and very good understanding of EU institutions and functioning,
- Direct experience of working with political & governmental stakeholders to influence change – have a good track record in policy influencing
- Good knowledge of international development issues
- Analytical skills and able to think strategically as well as creatively
- Team player and excellent communications skills
- Fluency in English required and competence in other European languages, especially French, is desirable.
- Commitments to Oxfam values and principles
- To contribute to Oxfam’s Even It Up campaign against extreme economic inequality for 2015-2019, in particular on advocacy and campaigning for fairer corporate tax rules at the international level;
- To develop and implement advocacy strategies to influence the European Union institutions and Member States on EU inequality and taxation policies in order to obtain improved European tax policies that fight tax dodging and allow developing countries to raise progressive tax revenues;
- To undertake policy and political analysis aimed at strengthening Oxfam’s understanding of, and ability to influence relevant EU inequality policies (e.g. ODA and taxation, political capture of tax decision-making…);
- To develop and maintain key relationships with the relevant EU institutions and policy makers to lead the implementation of Oxfam’s advocacy vis-à-vis the EU on issues related to taxation and inequality.
- To undertake internal coordination work within the Oxfam confederation, supporting country-led advocacy and linking programme work with broader influencing work.
- Implement the Oxfam EU strategy on inequality, in particular on taxation, as part of the global campaign against inequality and develop further plans to influence the EU institutions policies for fighting tax dodging and fairer corporate tax rules in Europe and in developing countries.
- Monitor EU developments on taxation, inequality and political capture in order to identify potential challenges that affect developing countries and require OI influence.
- Develop and maintain key relationships within the relevant EU institutions.
- Provide analysis and policy development, from an EU perspective, on global taxation and inequality priorities for Oxfam.
- Prepare policy briefings, letters and presentations and other written materials for internal and external use.
- Organize and manage events in Brussels to support Oxfam’s advocacy objectives.
- Represent Oxfam International in meetings, conferences, consultation meetings and international fora as appropriate.
- Work closely with other development NGOs and networks active on taxation (e.g. Eurodad, ActionAid, Financial transparency coalition, CONCORD…) in the context of joint advocacy initiatives at EU level.
- Provide tailored information and advice to members of the Oxfam family on EU taxation issues, targets and developments.
- Coordinate closely with Oxfam Even It Up colleagues in Brussels, affiliates, particularly in Europe, OI advocacy offices, and allies.
- Provide advice and support to Oxfam programmes in developing countries that are engaged in the Even It Up campaign (especially on taxation).
- Organize and manage specific coordination projects within the EU Advocacy office, with Oxfam affiliates and allies.
Key Working Relationships
- Deputy Head of OI EU Advocacy Office (Brussels)
- OI EU Communications & Media Officer / OI EU Even It Up policy advisers (Brussels)
- Oxfam’s Even It Up global and policy team (especially fiscal justice team and special tax project coordinating team)
- European affiliates colleagues working on tax and inequality.
- Knowledge of development context and main EU opportunities and policy processes on taxation; knowledge of global reforms of corporate tax rules desirable.
- Excellent knowledge of EU decision making processes and relevant EU institutions (ways of working, agendas, and how to influence them)
- Knowledge of or experience of various types of influencing, including media, popular mobilisation/public campaigning.
- Track record in policy influencing towards governments and/or international institutions; private sector influencing desirable.
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills and ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Excellent communication skills for influencing and media work, and awareness of political sensitivities.
- Ability to prioritise, plan, organise work in a complex institutional setting.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and ability to work flexibly as part of hard-working teams, including teams working across countries and time-zones, while also able to take initiative and work under pressure with limited supervision.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Fluency in written/spoken French is desirable. Other European languages an advantage
- Commitment to Oxfam values and philosophy
- Some travels may be expected from the post-holder (around 20 days per year)
- Overseas experience desirable.
Demonstrable affinity with the aims and objectives of the Oxfam Confederation
- Ability to think and work in a multi-disciplinary way.
- Ability to operate effectively in a network environment.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
Works in a way that demonstrates the Secretariat’s values and behavioral competencies:
- Honest and transparent.
- Supporting each other.
- Professional and striving for excellence.
- Proactive and solutions oriented.
*Please note that applications that do not have a covering letter and Résumé/CV will not be considered (you will need to combine your Résumé/CV into one document before attaching it to your application)