UNHCR – Statelessness Consultant, Bruxelles
Luogo di lavoro: Estero
Scadenza: 9 settembre 2016
The office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is seeking a candidate for the following vacant position: Statelessness Consultant, located in Brussels.
The UNHCR Regional Representation for Western Europe (RRWE) seeks a qualified Statelessness Consultant to monitor the statelessness determination and access to rights of stateless persons in Belgium.
Under the overall supervision of the Protection Unit for Belgium and Luxembourg in the UNHCR Regional Representation for Western Europe (RRWE), the Consultant will carry out the following activities:
- Monitor and gather information to identify the current practices on statelessness determination and the granting of residence permits to stateless persons, with a view to assessing the developments since the publication of the 2012 UNHCR report “Mapping Statelessness in Belgium”;
- Monitor the development and implementation of legislation and policy related to statelessness determination, analyse these and assess against relevant UNHCR guidelines;
- Liaise with persons of concern and relevant stakeholders to follow the individual cases of stateless persons undergoing determination of their statelessness and/or the exercise of their rights;
- Develop, based on new content and/or updating of existing material, a training module on statelessness in a Belgian context and relevant UNHCR guidelines to be organized for relevant stakeholders;
- Regularly report on the monitoring and training activities;
- Submit at the end of the consultancy, a brief report containing key findings and recommendations, aiming to inform UNHCR’s advocacy activities on statelessness.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
- University degree in law, political sciences, migration studies or similar subject;
- Minimum four years relevant working experience, or two years and a post-graduate university degree;
- Working experience in migration or nationality/statelessness issues;
- Excellent understanding of international instruments relating to statelessness as well as the Belgian context;
- Fluency in two of the three following languages: English, Dutch and French, and passive knowledge of the third one;
- Good organizational and communication skills.
Desirable qualifications and competences
- Experience in counselling and/or representing individuals in migration or nationality/statelessness procedures in a Belgian context.
From September to 31 December 2016. Flexible working arrangements can be discussed.
Interested candidates are invited to fill in the Personal History (P.11) form which can be obtained at http://www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc. Completed forms with a motivation letter in English are to be submitted to email@example.com with “Statelessness Consultant” in the subject, by 12:00 on 9 September 2016. No late applications will be accepted.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.