IOM – Intern Policy & Programme Support Unit, Brussels
Candidature entro: 10 maggio 2015
Duty Station: Regional Office Brussels
Organizational Unit: Policy & Programme Support Unit
Position Title: Intern
Start date of employment: ASAP
Duration of Assignment: 6 months
The intern will work for the IOM Regional Office for the European Economic Area, European Union and NATO. The intern will not only become acquainted with the policies of IOM as an international organization, its multicultural environment and its functioning, but also learn more about EU policymaking and funding for migration. The intern will support the external team within the Policy and Programme Support Unit (PPSU), focusing on developing IOM’s policy and project-related cooperation with the European Union in third countries.
The intern will work under the overall guidance of the Head of the Policy and Programme Support Unit and direct supervision of the EU Policy and Programme Officer, in close cooperation with other colleagues in the external team of PPSU.
He/ she will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in identifying and analysing donors’ priorities, strategies and related funding opportunities at the European institutional level;
- Assist in undertaking research, data collection and analysis on developments in the field of migration, future prospects and trends, relevant to IOM activities in third countries;
- Assist in drafting briefings, information materials, policy documents, and reports for internal and external distribution;
- Assist in data collection, analysis and preparation of reports on EU funding to IOM activities worldwide;
- Assist in the preparation and submission of project proposals and reports to EU institutions in line with donor requirements;
- Assist in supporting IOM Headquarters and Regional and Country Offices on policy issues and matters related to project development and implementation;
- Assist in monitoring the work of the Presidencies of the Council of the European Union and relevant committees and working groups within the European institutions, including the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council;
- Assist in organising information meetings, mailings and seminars in collaboration with appropriate entities, with the aim of disseminating information and updating external entities, existing and potential donors and partners on IOM activities;
- Participate in meetings as required;
- Provide administrative assistance to the Policy & Programme Support Unit, and any other related tasks as may be required.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
a) University degree in European Studies, International Relations, Political Science, or Law; b) First work experience or internship with the EU environment related to migration would be a distinct advantage; c) Knowledge of European institutions and policy in the fields of migration, development and/or foreign affairs; d) Knowledge about EU financing rules and procedures an advantage; e) Computer literacy, especially database tools; f) Strong organizational skills; g) Ability to understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios; h) Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds; i) Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines; j) Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English; working knowledge of French is desirable;
- Vacancy is reserved for candidates who should undergo a practice placement in the framework of their studies, hold a scholarship or who are sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions;
- Post is subject to local recruitment.
Method of Application:
All applications (CV and Cover Letter) should be addressed to IOMBrusselsApplications@iom.intquoting the above vacancy notice number.
Closing date: 10th May 2015